Senior Specialist, Design Engineer
Our client is a leading technology innovator, solving customers’ toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Our client supports government and commercial customers in more than 100 countries and has approximately $6 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into three business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems and Electronic Systems.
The Design Engineer will effectively utilize EDA tools deployed at Harris to create and maintain Printed Circuit Boards, Rigid-Flex, and Flex Circuits:
- Mentor’ s Software
- WorkView Office (Schematic capture)
- PADS (PCB layout)
- Expedition (PCB layout - a plus)
- V-Sure (Valor ODB++ output)
- Polar (Impedance calculator)
- Cadence (PCB layout - a plus)
- Create schematics or PCBs in accordance with established industry guidelines.
- Interface directly with Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Test Engineering to obtain information about requirements.
- Evaluate and implement new technologies, design processes, and software tools. Work with Component Engineering to select and accommodate advanced packages and clarify specification discrepancies.
- Create complex multi-layer designs for PCBs, Rigid-Flex and Flex circuits using the latest technologies (i.e. 3/3 mil trace/space, BGA’ s, microvias, stacked microvias, high speed, and control impedance).
- Generate support documentation to meet standards. Incorporate complex change notices utilizing existing CAD tools. Check designs, drawings, and databases for accuracy.
- Review engineering schematic input for correctness
- Process schematic data into PADS Power PCB software
- Process mechanical data into PADS Power PCB software
- Run Fabrication checks using V-Sure
- Run Manufacturing checks using V-Sure
- Create complex stack-ups using Polar
- Solve fabricator, test, and assembly issues
- Manage changes that occur during the design (with engineer and manufacturing inputs)
- Route complex designs
- Matched pairs
- Controlled impedance
- Digital, RF, analog, and power supplies
- Working knowledge of PC based applications and network environments
- Working knowledge of: Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Agile
- Relevant B.S. degree with 6+ years of PCB design experience in advanced PCB design concepts
- Relevant A.S. degree with 10 years PCB design experience, including a minimum of 5 years of progressively more complex experience in advanced PCB design concepts
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Knowledge of the PCB design value chain; schematics, materials, fabrication, assembly, and design and simulation software tools
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated to achieve results with broad direction
- Adaptable to a variety of tasks, responsibilities, and people
- Able to work under aggressive schedules
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information